Most advisory groups meet on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. Unless noted below or on the calendar, meetings generally take place between 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM. Volunteers have the choice to join in person at the CFA Society Chicago office, or they can dial in via conference call. It is not mandatory for volunteers to attend every meeting, but participation is greatly appreciated.
Please note that meeting dates may change to accommodate holidays and CFA Society Chicago events. If you would like to confirm the date of the next meeting for one of the advisory groups below, please contact the office at 312-251-1301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meets 4-6 times per year
Christopher T. Vincent, CFA – CFA Society Chicago
The Annual Dinner is CFA Society Chicago’s flagship event and honors our society’s new CFA charterholders. The main tasks for the Annual Dinner Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Soliciting corporate sponsorships from local investment firms and vendors utilizing network of contacts (May – October);
- Supporting CFA Society Chicago staff in obtaining commitments from past sponsors (May – October);
- Providing suggestions on potential speakers to the incoming board chairman (November – December);
- Shaping the strategic direction of the event with suggestions to the board and CFA Society Chicago staff.
CFA WOMEN'S NETWORK
Meets on the 1st Thursday every other month
Tiffany Greenhouse, CFA – MSCI
Christine Tinker, CFA – Northern Trust Asset Management
The CFA Women’s Network mission is to inspire female engagement in the CFA program and support women in their financial career. We believe investor outcomes are significantly benefitted by encouraging diversity in the investment management and financial services profession globally.
The values and goals for the CFA Women’s Network volunteers are:
- Build awareness
- Educate on opportunities & investor/industry benefits
- Build camaraderie
- Overcome biases
- Lead by example
- Develop engagement
Meets 6 times annually
Lisa Davenport, CFA – Neuberger Berman
Austin Galm, CFA – Bank of America
The Communications Advisory Group ensures the members of CFA Society Chicago receive pertinent and timely information. The main tasks for the Communications Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Reporting on society activities and people via blog articles and social media efforts (ongoing);
- Producing the Annual Report including the M&D section in the annual report (late fall);
- Representing the Society at external forums calling for CFA/investment profession spokespersons (as needed);
- Maintaining relationships with media and securing press coverage/publicity for society (ongoing);
- Suggesting members for potential media interview opportunities; staff maintains database of capabilities (as needed);
- Supporting society marketing efforts and outreach initiatives through social media (as needed);
- Collaborating with CFA Institute on its relevant outreach such as advocacy (potential, none to date);
- Providing input to society leadership on effectiveness of member communications (as needed);
- Facilitating ongoing tracking of member satisfaction via surveys and other research (occasional in spring in conjunction with society surveys).
- Useful Skills for Various Communications Functions:
- Speaking, both in public and potential cold calling;
- Public relations/relationship management;
- Personal interviewing;
- Sensitivity to design issues, both for publications and website.
DISTINGUISHED SPEAKER SERIES
Meets the 2nd Monday every month
Robert Knezevic, CFA – Susquehanna International Group
Nick Vassilos, CFA – Charles Schwab Asset Management Solutions (SAMS)
The Distinguished Speakers Series Advisory Group secures the industry’s top financial leaders to speak at society luncheons. The main tasks for the Distinguished Speakers Series Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Bringing speaker and topic suggestions to the committee for review;
- Reviewing suggested speakers for relevancy to the membership at large;
- Extending written and/or verbal invitations to selected speakers;
- Following up with invitations and coordinating with society staff to secure dates;
- Introducing speakers at the luncheon events (optional).
Meets on the 3rd Tuesday every month
Lotta Moberg, CFA – William Blair
Matthew Morris, CFA – UBS
The Education Advisory Group primary focus is to plan seminars for CFA Society Chicago members at every stage in their career. The main tasks for the Education Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Utilizing the Professional Development Series Guideline to strategically plan educational events and half-day education seminars for financial professionals at every stage in their career;
- Recruiting top level speakers to present/instruct during events;
- Developing new education initiatives targeted for the benefit of CFA Society Chicago members;
- Brainstorming topics and speakers for half-day education seminars, investment exchange forums, financial modeling courses, and Fundamentals of Investing programs;
- Planning for Annual Educational Conference to be held each spring;
- When requested by our subgroups: the Book Club, Investment Exchange Forum, or PDDARI, brainstorm ideas to support their missions.
Meets on the 3rd Thursday every other month
Melissa Binder, CFA – PPM America
Gerald Norby, CFA – William Blair & Co.
The Member Engagement Advisory Group will be responsible to personally engage current and potential members of CFA Society Chicago. The group will act as ambassadors to promote and increase awareness about the credential, CFA Society Chicago membership, support the efforts of prospective charterholders through education and networking, create a foundation for young professional members by promoting learning opportunities relevant to the young financial professional, and building relationship between CFA Society Chicago and academia. The group can also serve as a resource and sounding board to staff on the development of strategy and campaigns.
The main tasks for the Membership Engagement Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Making welcome wagon calls to new members
- Serving as new member hosts at CFA Society Chicago events
- Helping to match those applying to CFA Institute for membership with sponsors when the applicant does not otherwise have a relationship with a CFA Society Chicago member.
- Working with other advisory groups to plan events designed to increase retention among existing members and increased the perceived value of active participation in CFA Society Chicago for senior executives and society members who have advanced to senior levels in their careers.
- Brainstorming ideas on how to recruit new members and enhance the volunteers’ experience
- Maintaining the relationship between CFA Society Chicago and local universities by:
- Coordinating the CFA Institute Research Challenge (Fall and Winter)
- Coordinating the student liaison program
- Matching members with speaking opportunities at local schools
- Reviewing student essays submitted with membership applications
- Reviewing scholarship applications for the Kimberly Paige Memorial Scholarship and the CFA Institute Exam Scholarships (twice a year – July and January);
- Coordinating study group assignments for the CFA exams (twice a year – August and February);
- Assisting with the CFA Society Chicago post-CFA exam party each June; the Study Group Kick-Off parties (summer and winter);
- Brainstorming ways to engage the Candidate Member class to become more active with the CFA Society Chicago;
- Making suggestions for the Candidates Services section of the website.
Meets on the 4th Thursday every month
Carla Norfleet Taylor, CFA – Fitch Wire
Rick Tauber, CFA – National Investment Services, Inc. (NISI)
The Professional Development Advisory Group is charged with developing programs to assist members excel during all stages of their careers and adjust to changes in the financial industry.
The main tasks for the Professional Development Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Generating new event ideas that focus on industry-wide issues;
- Conducting outreach to industry leaders for speaking engagements or participation at events;
- Identifying and soliciting sponsors and exhibitors for the annual members-only Career Fair;
- Conducting an annual compensation survey including maintaining societal collaborations with the purpose of designing, executing, analyzing, marketing, and publishing a compensation survey for the greater Chicago area.
Meets on the 2nd Tuesday every other month
Jenny McNicholas, CFA – Bank of America Private Bank
Andrew Speight, CFA – Goldman Sachs
The Social Advisory Group’s mission is to organize relaxing, entertaining, and networking-oriented events in a variety of different environments that will appeal to our diverse group of members. Social events include networking events and group outings to sporting events, happy hours, themed events such as cooking classes, whiskey tastings, boat excursion, and scavenger hunts. The main tasks for the Social Advisory Group volunteers include:
- Generating new ideas for events;
- Utilizing network of contacts at local clubs, private venues, entertainment facilities, restaurants, etc. to secure space;
- Researching package deals, venue offerings, sports calendars, etc;
- Identifying up-and-coming restaurants for networking luncheons and dinners;
- Suggesting and possibly recruiting potential sponsors for the Annual Golf Outing.